Alert!

Hello, reader! If you intend to post a link to this blog on Twitter, be aware that for utterly mysterious reasons, Twitter thinks this blog is spam, and will prevent you from linking to it. Here's a workaround: change the .com in the address to .ca. I call it the "Maple Leaf Loophole." And thanks for sharing!

Friday, August 28, 2015

Friday Favorites 6

Happy Friday! I am elbows deep in Trello, of all things, but the cat is good company. Here we go...

I took a stab at Activity Builder with an activity that deals with discovering pi and thinking of circumference vs diameter as a proportional relationship. And wow, it's so much better because of their Twitter interaction. I don't know if my favorite part is setting a table to make points draggable only vertically, or their suggestion to share Teacher Notes in a linked google document.

In case you haven't heard, there's also a repository of user-created Desmos activities here. Mileage may vary.

All the Math Talking Points

Are in this shared google folder. If you haven't grokked the magic of Talking Points yet, go read you some cheesemonkey wonders.

OER Curricula and Curricular Outlines

In case I haven't talked your ear off about it yet, I'm of the strong opinion that a school's math department should Decide on a Coherent Curriculum and riff off of that, rather than expecting their teachers to create a curriculum on the fly using random resources they find on the Internet. Some textbook series are good, and there are also decent OER (Open Educational Resource) ones are already out there, and too many people don't know about them.



This Coaching Model

Where your team gets a Teacher Partner - someone who teaches a few classes but also coordinates your collaborative teacher learning. I love this.

I might be a little obsessed with other people's planning documents.

Icebreakers That Won't Make you Cringe

You know what I'm talking about. h/t Lani.

John's Exhaustive Tour of the Good Stuff 

Where do I start? Here.