Hello, reader! If you intend to post a link to this blog on Twitter, be aware that for utterly mysterious reasons, Twitter thinks this blog is spam, and will prevent you from linking to it. Here's a workaround: change the .com in the address to .ca. I call it the "Maple Leaf Loophole." And thanks for sharing!

Friday, July 17, 2015

Friday Favorites 4

It's the second week of Math Camp... that means I have a little time to post. Yay! Things are still a tad chaotic here - long days, tween drama, field trips, little sleep, etc etc, but I finally have the class I'm teaching all planned out through the end of this week. Phew! Time to write and reflect and observe some great teachers in action.

Also I taught some 13 year old boys how to juggle yesterday. Before I signed up for that duty, I did not consider how many times I would have to say the word "balls." The first time was awkward, but then we naturally took it to a ridiculous extreme. "MALACHI! CONTROL YOUR BALLS!" (Normally I wouldn't post photos of student faces, but this one is on the program's website.)

And now for some fresh faves...

Megan's Easy Way to Start Blogging

Although it's really valuable professional learning for lots of people, keeping up a blog during the school year can be a daunting proposition. An on-ramp can be a 180 blog - just take and publish one photo a day from your classroom. This practice has less overhead in terms of time, but gets you in the habit of noticing things to share. This recent post by Megan Hayes-Golding suggests one way to set this up using Instagram, IFTTT, and Wordpress to make it low friction so that you are more likely to stick with it. If you're unfamiliar with those platforms, don't worry - they are all pretty easy to get started. You could have this up and running in a few hours if you're new to it (a few minutes if you're not). Also, IFTTT works with lots of different services.

Dylan Builds His Intuition

Dylan Kane has been chronicling his growth as an early-career teacher. If you haven't been following along, you should plug into that. I really enjoyed his post about the ways he has to be attentive to avoiding pitfalls of bias and developing intuition that will be productive in his practice, because they paralleled some of the things I realized along the way (although he has articulated them much better).

Meg Encourages MTBoS Users to Make It Work for Them

Much as I love our spirited army of awesome, folks can get a tad dogmatic and judgey from time to time. It can be a turn-off, when you come across some strident prose that makes you feel like you're doing everything wrong. Meg Craig's post speaks to two audiences: seekers of resources and conversations, who are reminded to stick with it and make it work for them. Also sharers of resources and initiators of conversations, who she gently offers ways to phrase your sharing so that it's a bit more inviting and inclusive.

Dan Meyer is going to fix NCTM for Us

Here's how. Thanks, Dan. (Adding some clarification here because I'm afraid this sounded snarky - I'm totally sincere. I'm really excited about the prospect of NCTM taking up the recommendations of the ShadowCon organizers. I think we all of us NCTM members realize that NCTM is not working well for many members and prospective members, and I wholly support these concrete proposals.)

Please Review Our Book

Have you read Playing with Math? Are you going to? (You should! It's so awesome.) It's on Amazon now, and it would be great to get some more reviews. (Since I wrote one of the essays I'm ambivalent about writing one myself.)