Hello, reader! If you intend to post a link to this blog on Twitter, be aware that for utterly mysterious reasons, Twitter thinks this blog is spam, and will prevent you from linking to it. Here's a workaround: change the .com in the address to .ca. I call it the "Maple Leaf Loophole." And thanks for sharing!

Friday, November 7, 2014

Fire Up Blogging Machine

Yo. This year is hard. New building, blah blah. I'll pause a minute for no one to be surprised.

I feel, very often, like I'm not that good at this. I know that everyone does sometimes. I know, I know. I think it has very much to do with attending to formative assessment every day. (Every. Damn. Day.) Measurement: making it hard to lie to yourself since... measuring was invented.

The children are charming and testy and pathetic and confident and devious and brave, all in the same day, all in the same 45 minutes. There are 70 ninth graders that move through my room, and the thing is that a ninth grader is like the weather in Buffalo in April -- if you don't like it (or if you do), just wait five minutes.

I have lessons that I want to write up for this blog, the problem being my artifacts (documents, pictures, student work, etc) are all over the place. The file system on the school network is unreliable, so teachers all use either Dropbox or Drive or flash drives to store and/or keep a backup of everything (even though Dropbox isn't installed at school -- it's web interface only, 2005-style). Colleagues have been very generous sharing (bewildering Virginia-standards-based) materials with me. So all the stuff I've modified or created and used is on... the school file system and Dropbox and Drive and a flash drive. That puts just enough of an annoying-barrier in the way of assembling blog posts. I have got to get my computer file organizing act together.

So, those are some lame excuses for the radio silence. More coming. I'll figure this out.