Alert!

Hello, reader! If you intend to post a link to this blog on Twitter, be aware that for utterly mysterious reasons, Twitter thinks this blog is spam, and will prevent you from linking to it. Here's a workaround: change the .com in the address to .ca. I call it the "Maple Leaf Loophole." And thanks for sharing!

Monday, January 13, 2014

Our Favorites... Tuesday, Tuesday, Tuesday!

Sometimes you read a MTBoS post and you're like, "Dag. I want to sit down and buy this person a burrito and get them to tell me all their secrets."  That happens to me pretty frequently, and I normally try to share my enthusiasm on Twitter, or whatever, because I don't live within burrito-sharing distance of most of these people, but I don't do this in any organized kind of way.

At the same time I'm thinking about this, I've been involved in some conversations about how Global Math Department is going through minor growing pains, as most successful endeavors do. Don't worry, we have some really smart and dedicated people who are ON IT.

These two things have converged! And resulted in yours very truly hosting an edition of Global Math tomorrow night, where I got to invite three of my favorite bloggers to come talk about three of my favorite posts from the past year. This one is geared toward high school content, but I have no doubt there will be good takeaways for middle school and post-secondary folks, as well. I hope you can join us! (Unfortunately you will have to provide your own burrito.)

If you'd like to do some reading ahead, check out the posts we'll be discussing:

Shireen D, Math Teacher Mambo, Related Rates and Crowdsourcing in which frustrations with related rates problems are shared (including the dreaded cheese factor), and a plan to address them. Shireen's going to tell us how it went.

Mimi Yang, I Hope This Old Train Breaks Down, Graphically Analyzing Inequalities and Equations Flexibly
Here is a quote that will get your blood pumping: "On the quiz for inequalities, my kids had 100% accuracy on all the equations and inequality questions because they were asked to show their work two ways, one by hand and one by the graph, for each equation or inequality."

Breedeen Murray, The Space Between the Numbers, More Projects, Please
I got sincerely excited by the combination of accessibility and mathematical depth going on in Bree's projects. And she's going to share some student work! Woo!