Hello, reader! If you intend to post a link to this blog on Twitter, be aware that for utterly mysterious reasons, Twitter thinks this blog is spam, and will prevent you from linking to it. Here's a workaround: change the .com in the address to .ca. I call it the "Maple Leaf Loophole." And thanks for sharing!

Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Fault in Our Stars has some wrong math (spoilers)

"There are infinite numbers between 0 and 1. There's .1 and .12 and .112 and an infinite collection of others. Of course, there is a bigger infinite set of numbers between 0 and 2, or between 0 and a million. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities. A writer we used to like taught us that. There are days, many of them, when I resent the size of my unbounded set. I want more numbers than I'm likely to get, and God, I want more numbers for Augustus Waters than he got. But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn't trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful."

I love that this character used mathematics to express her love to her dying boyfriend. It still bugs me that the math is wrong. Gus gave her the same size infinity between 0 and 1 as she would have gotten between 0 and 2, or 0 and a million. I'm afraid this makes me a heartless asshole.

(The author acknowledges that the math is wrong, and claims it was intentional. I believe him. I don't know what to do with it.)