Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Fourth and Final Week of New Bloggers!

Here is our fourth installment of new bloggers! If you needed any evidence that our teachers are a national treasure, look no further. Passion, thoughtfulness, smarts - our weird and awesome little corner of the Internet is rocking it right now.

Sorry to pick favorites, but this is my personal favorite from this batch: Rachel Tabak @ray_emily has a blog named Writing to Learn to Teach. The fourth post for the Blogging Initiation is titled Error Analysis, Decimal Operations, and Being Less Lame and the author sums it up as follows: "Kids who would likely have been utterly lost received mini-lessons from peers. (Also, I could spot those kiddos and work with them fairly easily, given that I was NOT in front of the class blah-blah-blahing. Oh – in case it wasn’t clear: There was no blah-blah-blahing. I just let kids dive in.)" A memorable quotation from the post is: " Now that I’ve moved from moping to actually determining what in particular was not working—a necessary step that I’d pathetically avoided, previously—it’s time to get to work."

Amy Zimmer has a blog named Ms. Z Teaches in Mathland. The fourth post for the Blogging Initiation is titled Pictures! and the author sums it up as follows: "Looking at ways to engage students" A memorable quotation from the post is: "I love when math students get to shine using all their intelligences."

Sarah Miller has a blog named Proof in the City. The fourth post for the Blogging Initiation is titled Small change with a big payoff and the author sums it up as follows: "One thing I've realized this year is that I need to spend time at the beginning of my lessons reminding kids what we are working on and where we left off last class period. It helps get them focused, and makes it possible for me to move forward with the topic at hand." A memorable quotation from the post is: "They don't hang on my every word, they don't look forward to what new math knowledge they can get today, they don't take a moment to reflect on where we are and what we are learning before class starts."

vanvleettv @vanvleettv has a blog named Everything's Rational. The fourth post for the Blogging Initiation is titled New Blogger Initiation Week 4: Solving Equations Shout Out and the author sums it up as follows: "The post is about a post I came across by a fellow new blogger. It is a resource and insight as to how she teaches solving equations." A memorable quotation from the post is: "As I was cruising through the Mathblogotwittosphere, I came across a post by MathyMissC called reteaching solving equations and wanted to give some props to her."

Alex Freuman @freuman has a blog named Math Teachering. The fourth post for the Blogging Initiation is titled One way to get students to ask questions... and the author sums it up as follows: "For me, this is an effective way to get students thinking and asking questions. It targets quieter and more timid students." A memorable quotation from the post is: "It is very natural for me to pause during a lesson and say, "Any questions?" My feeling is that many students interpret this as, "If you're a little too slow to keep up with my pace, confess now.""

helen oehrlein has a blog named Bowditch's Apprentice. The fourth post for the Blogging Initiation is titled Wonderful Course for NYC/Long Island Teachers and the author sums it up as follows: "In my last post, I mentioned a great course I had taken that really moved me along s a math teacher. The coordinator of the program saw my post, and asked me to let teacher know that there are openings in the latest course, which starts on Oct. 3. It was the most valuable PD I have ever done." A memorable quotation from the post is: "Each class a different experienced teacher shared their best ideas and lessons. I learned so much, and wished that this had been part of my teacher training."