Alert!

Hello, reader! If you intend to post a link to this blog on Twitter, be aware that for utterly mysterious reasons, Twitter thinks this blog is spam, and will prevent you from linking to it. Here's a workaround: change the .com in the address to .ca. I call it the "Maple Leaf Loophole." And thanks for sharing!

Friday, August 31, 2012

Moar New Bloggers!!!

Week two apparently saw an almost equally enthusiastic output from our blogging-challenged! Pardon my lack of commentary, this weekend I have somehow managed to saddle myself with marking ~90 unit tests, ~50 notebook checks, and planning to teach an IB vector unit for the first time. Even still, I am going to go read at least three of these right now and leave a comment. Your assignment is to do the same!

Stephanie Macsata @MsMac622 has a blog named High Heels in the High School. The first post for the Blogging Initiation is titled 1st Days of School and the author sums it up as follows: "I wrote this post about something I wish had been part of my teacher training. I picked the book First Days of School by Harry Wong because it taught me about setting expectations and teaching procedures, which helped a lot in my second year (and beyond)." A memorable quotation from the post is: "After experiencing year one I knew what I DIDN'T want, but I still wasn't quite sure how to get what I DID want."

Heather Kohn @heather_kohn has a blog named Growing Exponentially. The first post for the Blogging Initiation is titled 10 years from now... and the author sums it up as follows: "This post is about what students will hopefully be saying at their 10 year reunion about our class, about me, and about what they learned. I summarize my end of year course evaluations and how that all I really want, is for the students to come home after 10 years and say hi." A memorable quotation from the post is: "It would mean the most to hear the students say they liked going to math class because it was fun, they learned a lot, and they know that even though I challenged them, I knew they could all succeed."

Allison Krasnow has a blog named Pi Crust. The first post for the Blogging Initiation is titled Cheating!! and the author sums it up as follows: "In addition to teaching middle school math, I am teaching an undergrad class at UC Berkeley this semester. It's a math methods class for students interested in being math teachers. So, sage blogging teachers...I'd love to hear from you what you believe should be taught in this course. I could blabber on and on about what I think is important, but I bet you can too." A memorable quotation from the post is: "Week 2 of new blogger initiation asks us to respond to the following question: “All new teachers should know about (blank) before entering the classroom,” and instead of answering it, I’m posing it to all of you."

Alex Freuman @freuman has a blog named Math Teachering. The first post for the Blogging Initiation is titled 5 Things I Wish I had Known when I Started Teaching and the author sums it up as follows: "If I could go back in time and give myself some advice, I would share these ideas with my old self. Hopefully, this will be helpful to some of the newer teachers out there." A memorable quotation from the post is: "I wish I had known that I didn’t have to hit every ball out of the park."

Brielliephant @Brielliephant has a blog named Thriving Not Just Surviving. The first post for the Blogging Initiation is titled My "Training" and the author sums it up as follows: "This is a list of a few of the first things that pop into my head when I think of all the millions of things I was never prepared for. Though, not to be a negative Nelly, I also have a short list of things I did learn and are thankful for about this year." A memorable quotation from the post is: "I was never taught that being the youngest, and one of the few, available young women teachers would mean that I should be set up with any and every available man by my fellow teachers."

Tad Snaith @TadSnaith has a blog named What Does Math Mean?. The first post for the Blogging Initiation is titled A Ten Year Reunion (Math Blogger Initiation Week 2) and the author sums it up as follows: "Another "student" added that they always felt that he made them think harder than any other teacher without them realizing. But in fact it wasn't that they "thought harder" but more so they felt comfortable to share ideas and thoughts in his classroom. They always felt trusted, respected, and worthwhile in Mr. Snaith's class." A memorable quotation from the post is: "it was a time in the day where students didn't have to worry about who was the best or who was the worst in math. It didn't matter. Everyone was treated equal."

Lee KT has a blog named Random Expected Value. The first post for the Blogging Initiation is titled Hokey Pokey for Functions and the author sums it up as follows: "I talk to my students a lot about how we think, how we learn. We remember if we connect new stuff to something already in our minds. So this is my hokey attempt at getting students ot understand and remember the duality between what they have learned previously as “y = ” and the function notation f(x)." A memorable quotation from the post is: "I make my thinking process explicit and visible to the students so that they can (perhaps) learn to think in better ways as a result."

Aaron C. @CarpGoesMoo has a blog named Random Teaching Tangents. The first post for the Blogging Initiation is titled New Blogger Initiation 2 and the author sums it up as follows: "This post was a rambling purge of the back to school blur ... with plenty of references to my inability to efficiently get 'flipped classroom' technology working for me instead of against me." A memorable quotation from the post is: "... and I don’t even care that this was an entire paragraph’s worth of run-on sentence."

Ben Owen @bahowen has a blog named Transformations. The first post for the Blogging Initiation is titled Two days down, 177 to go and the author sums it up as follows: "My post is about the challenges I'll be facing in my classes this year. Some challenges will come from my students, but other will come from the district offices." A memorable quotation from the post is: "It's hard to find the joy in teaching when my employer is trying to replace me with videos."

Jillian Paulen @jlpaulen has a blog named Laplace Transforms for Life. The first post for the Blogging Initiation is titled Calculus &; Cupcakes and the author sums it up as follows: "I wrote about the things I hope my calculus students remember in 10 years, as well as what I remember from my calculus class." A memorable quotation from the post is: "I won’t be so vainglorious as to proclaim that all my students will remember every skill I ever taught them, but I do hope for a few things."