Alert!

Hello, reader! If you intend to post a link to this blog on Twitter, be aware that for utterly mysterious reasons, Twitter thinks this blog is spam, and will prevent you from linking to it. Here's a workaround: change the .com in the address to .ca. I call it the "Maple Leaf Loophole." And thanks for sharing!

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Let's Hear It for New Bloggers!

It is common knowledge that I love Sam Shah as only one long time blogging buddy can love a blogging buddy. Basically I just love the Shah-ness of Shah, and I make no apologies. The other mastermind (mistressmind?) is Julie Reulbach whose Google Spreadsheet fu is downright scary - who knew? She is full of surprises, that one. They initiated this initiative to 1. give new bloggers a kick in the pants and 2. give the rest of us a way to see the new stuff out there. I was pleased to see that many of them took the advice to name their blog something that doesn't suck. This is long, so get yourself a bag of cheetos or a corn dog or something and settle in. If you read a post that you like - hey - leave a comment! It's free! And it will make their day.

vanvleettv @vanvleettv has a blog named Everything's Rational. The first post for the Blogging Initiation is titled Introducing Standards Based Grading and the author sums it up as follows: "I created a presentation to go through with students and their parents that gives a glimpse into the world of Standards Based Grading. I will use this sometime during the first week of school. Hopefully it will help ease the process of converting to standards based grading in my classroom. " A memorable quotation from the post is: "I wasn’t happy with the way I graded last year and want to do something about it."

Carl Edgren and Hannah Schuchhardt @carledgren, @hschuchhardt have a blog named Teaching Systematically. The first post for the Blogging Initiation is titled Helping Students Become Problem Solvers... and the author sums it up as follows: "We are really working to help kids become problem solvers, not just people who are good at completing math problems. There are 2 things we are starting this year: "Google Days" with an advanced class and more project based learning with all of our other courses." A memorable quotation from the post is: "Sometimes I think that recalling things you’ve learned is like recalling a memory – we are trying to get students to be able to put themselves back into the moment they learned a specific skill or idea."

MathNinjaTeacher @mathninjateach has a blog named The Education of Future Math Ninjas. The first post for the Blogging Initiation is titled Survival and the author sums it up as follows: "This post summarizes my pre-school worries about being a new teacher. Including the fact I am teaching a brand new curriculum." A memorable quotation from the post is: "At 7:05am Monday morning 25ish 9th graders will grace me with their presence and will forever be known as “My First Class Ever.”"

Ms. Philosoraptor has a blog named Normalcurvasaurus. The first post for the Blogging Initiation is titled What's with all the dinosaurs? and the author sums it up as follows: "The post I wrote for this week describes why I chose the screen name and blog name that I did (and my obsession with dinosaurs). I also briefly described what I hope to instill in my students as learners (and thinkers!) as a prospective teacher." A memorable quotation from the post is: "I want my students to become thinkers, and actually THINK about the mathematics they are doing."

mathtastrophe @mathtastrophe has a blog named mathtastrophe. The first post for the Blogging Initiation is titled Time Is Money - A Fresh Start and the author sums it up as follows: "It's a new year and I need a fresh start! I narrowed it down to two big things that I think will make all the difference in my classroom. A timer and an interactive notebook." A memorable quotation from the post is: "I want students to know that I value their time as well as my own, and I want them to know that in my class we use time wisely."

Beth Ferguson has a blog named in stillness the dancing. The first post for the Blogging Initiation is titled In stillness and the author sums it up as follows: "Blogging about my school experience is new to me and I’m enjoying the process. I began blogging a few years ago. At that time I blogged to help find my “center,” to quieten myself to recharge. Interestingly enough, I’m finding blogging to be a different experience this time around. " A memorable quotation from the post is: "It is in stillness that my soul finds delight."

Jennifer Kenney @jnnyknny has a blog named Algebra Awesomeness. The first post for the Blogging Initiation is titled Yakking Tracker and the author sums it up as follows: "I created stop lights to use in my junior high classroom to monitor noise level for my groupwork. They look fantastic and will help me to work on my behavior plan this year!" A memorable quotation from the post is: "I like to be able to control the volume on my own."

crazedmummy has a blog named crazed-mummy. The first post for the Blogging Initiation is titled Homework week 1 and the author sums it up as follows: "My post is about the blog name, the repetitive included pictures, and the reason for blogging." A memorable quotation from the post is: " I rarely leave a trail of slime behind me, but I do wear glasses."

loveteachingmaths has a blog named Love Teaching Maths. The first post for the Blogging Initiation is titled Back to school.. and the author sums it up as follows: "Analysing AS results for this year. Setting some personal targets." A memorable quotation from the post is: "If a student is not ‘good’ at a subject then why should we have to break our backs for them to just scrape a pass?"

Paul Gitchos has a blog named Second Thoughts. The first post for the Blogging Initiation is titled First Day Lesson Ideas and the author sums it up as follows: "I'm working on opening lessons to set the right tone in my math classes, which are Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, and Calculus. (Is that something like hitting for the cycle?)" A memorable quotation from the post is: "I am trying hard for an introduction to calculus that lets students understand why it was invented in the first place."

Kevin Krenz @kevin_krenz has a blog named Rational Limits. The first post for the Blogging Initiation is titled [NBI] Focus on culture and the author sums it up as follows: "I did focus on culture during my first year of teaching, but I did it wrong. I tried to build it, alone. This year I want to actively include my students in developing the culture of our classroom from day one." A memorable quotation from the post is: "I can help guide the development of our culture and be intentional about which values are emphasized, but I cannot create it on my own."

Nate Gildersleeve @Mrmacx has a blog named Hard Enough Problems. The first post for the Blogging Initiation is titled Blogger Initiative Pt 1 and the author sums it up as follows: "This post talks about implementing a flipped classroom and using google forms this year. I'm most excited about using google forms as a feedback tool to help foster a positive mathematical community." A memorable quotation from the post is: "So a student recognized that they were talking the most, but also recognized that they weren’t the ones with the best ideas."

MakingPaperAirplanes @MakingAirplanes has a blog named Making Paper Airplanes. The first post for the Blogging Initiation is titled New Year Goal and the author sums it up as follows: "Since this is my first year in my own classroom, I am having to set up and organize everything from scratch. It's been a challenge to decide what will work for me, and while I am not afraid to make changes, I want to have at least the basic bones settled before students show up!" A memorable quotation from the post is: "[Organization] has been a constant struggle for me, as I was working out of five different classrooms at two different schools last year."

Angie Eakland @aeakland has a blog named Coefficients of Determination. The first post for the Blogging Initiation is titled r squared equals 1 and the author sums it up as follows: "This is a post about the origin of my blog's name, but it's mostly about the synergy we all strive for." A memorable quotation from the post is: "To me, those 1's come with the synergy created between the art of teaching and the science of teaching."