Hello, reader! If you intend to post a link to this blog on Twitter, be aware that for utterly mysterious reasons, Twitter thinks this blog is spam, and will prevent you from linking to it. Here's a workaround: change the .com in the address to .ca. I call it the "Maple Leaf Loophole." And thanks for sharing!

Thursday, May 10, 2012

And Furthermore

Dan said:
I’m surprised by how many people have found me and I’m glad people find my ideas meaningful. I guess I’m just amazed at how easy it’s been to have a voice in the semi-anonymity of the internet.
Other Dan said:
If you're just getting into teaching, there are plenty of worse ways to invest your time than in blogging, tweeting, and building your own faculty lounge.
Kate says:
If you are in a room full of math ed bloggers and you don't remember someone's name, try "Dan." 
And also, I want to share this: I received an unsolicited email from a department head this week that read in part
"...if/when you get the urge to move, the math department in _____ would love to talk to you. We always need great people with a passion for improving their craft (and especially doing so in such a public fashion.)" 
So, you know. For the past long while it seemed like admins and hiring-decision types paid no mind to my blogging. But that's changing. People are paying attention, and more importantly, it's people who value the same things we do: continuous learning, reflective practice, learning out loud. I was asked about specific posts on f(t) in the interview for my new job, which not only helped them get to know me, but heightened my opinion of them and their school as a promising place to work.