Alert!

Hello, reader! If you intend to post a link to this blog on Twitter, be aware that for utterly mysterious reasons, Twitter thinks this blog is spam, and will prevent you from linking to it. Here's a workaround: change the .com in the address to .ca. I call it the "Maple Leaf Loophole." And thanks for sharing!

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Here Are Some Videos

So...I realize the date for this post is inauspicious, but this is really a thing. About a year ago, I was contracted to make an Algebra 1 course in the form of <10 minute videos by a company that didn't ultimately get off the ground. I completed part of a course - up through factoring trinomials. I didn't get to solving/graphing quadratics, rational expressions, radicals, or right triangle trig. I made a halfhearted attempt to finish it up on principle but MAN, there are so many more interesting things to do with my time. (And also necessary, boring things taking up my time, like getting a work visa for Argentina, a process not unlike one of those unsolvable mazes designed to induce frustration paralysis in laboratory animals.) I retained the rights to the videos so I put them up online with a Creative Commons license, because I don't have the time or inclination to do anything else with them for now.

One of this company's innovations was for the videos to ask questions and pause and wait for a response. So, within each there are questions with a short pause before the answer is revealed. Each one took me about a week of time outside of school to plan and record and cut. The quality gets better within the first few, due to me learning some things, and also acquiring a decent microphone. Also... I don't think anything like they are the answer to any real or perceived problem in math ed. I don't think they are the best way for anyone to learn (the first 5/8 or so of) Algebra 1. They are the best I could do with the format and something I did for some extra money because, hi! teacher. I'm not un-proud of them, but I know they are imperfect. I'm not inclined to go back and re-record or fix anything, so feel free to criticize but I am not likely to react.

But, they're a resource and maybe they can do some more good than they were sitting on my hard drive. I hope someone finds them useful.