I am not quite sure yet about this year, but in other years I have used this Survivor-themed review game to help review for final exams. I was going to write up a whole big thing about it, but then I realized that the original description was pretty darn close to what I ended up doing. So I am just formally endorsing it. Check it out.
I made a few minor modifications:
- I score each challenge out of 10, but there are only 5 points available on it. So their score is never lower than 50%. This prevents all these scores from really killing their quarter grade if they bomb a few. Or more than a few. Reviewing a whole year can be rough.
- I can't exempt anyone from Regents exams, so I work "immunity" thusly (I've been watching a bunch of Alton Brown, can you tell?): The winning tribe for each challenge automatically gets a perfect score on the next challenge. However, they still take it and try hard on it, because they could always get immunity a second time!
- To up the joy quotient, I gave some incentive for the tribes that made beautiful signage of their tribe name to hang above their work area.
- One year I gave $5 Amazon gift cards to each winner of the winning tribes, and another year I had t-shirts made. The t-shirts were the far more popular prize. They wore them to the exam and took pictures. You want to see a bunch of regents kids act like math nerds? Give em a free t-shirt.
- The first few days of the game, and more if you feel like it, you MUST blare the survivor theme song in your room as class starts, and you MUST wear a safari jacket and bush hat. NO EXCEPTIONS, buddy.