Hello, reader! If you intend to post a link to this blog on Twitter, be aware that for utterly mysterious reasons, Twitter thinks this blog is spam, and will prevent you from linking to it. Here's a workaround: change the .com in the address to .ca. I call it the "Maple Leaf Loophole." And thanks for sharing!

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Regression Project : Help

I'm planning a unit for Algebra 2 with Trig called "Function Transformations and Regressions." I'm all set with the transformations part, but I am trying to plan something interesting for the 3 to 4 days of regression analysis. My idea is to give the children a choice of relationships for which they will collect data, graph scatterplots, decide the best model, perform a regression. Then use the function they get to gain insight into the type of relationship and make preditions. Ideally they will present their findings to the group but I don't know if we will have time for that. Also, I'm in the annoying situation of needing to teach them how to do regressions on a TI, but that makes sharing their results very difficult.

I'd like to provide opportunities to explore data that kids might actually be interested in. I'm looking for any more brilliant ideas out there. Ideally where the data is not too difficult to obtain within a 43-minute class period, either by measuring or because it's available online and you can provide a link. (What I'm not looking for, please, pretty please, I beg you, is "SWINE FLU!". The growth and decline of influenza, while interesting, is not appropriate for my purposes. I mean what is that - quadratic growth, followed by linear decline, followed by exponential decay? Piecewise functions are beyond the scope, here.)

This is the best of what I have so far:
So, come on. Who's holding?